Integrative Medicine, also called Complementary, Holistic, CAM or Alternative Medicine. Incorporating the whole person – body, mind, and spirit – to beat cancer.
At Austin Cancer Center, we want you to thrive and feel your best while undergoing treatment, which may be achieved by including additional services for optimal healing. We’re here to help find all the resources needed to create the most positive outcome possible. Because we believe in approaching cancer from every possible direction, we include Integrative Medicine as part of our comprehensive and holistic treatment options. Dr. Matthew McCurdy, a Board-Certified Integrative Oncologist, leads our Integrative Oncology Division. Dr. McCurdy is highly recognized for his expertise, and regularly lectures to the public and other physicians on integrative oncology, nutrition, and spirituality. He holds leadership positions on multiple Society of Integrative Oncology committees.
No matter what type of cancer you have, or your level of comfort with modern or holistic medicine, Dr. McCurdy has a talent for educating patients and creating a tailored regimen. He will guide you through your cancer journey, no matter what stage you are in of your treatment and help you learn how to incorporate your own hobbies and beliefs into healing.
Integrative therapies include:
- Chiropractic care
- Exercise planning and management
- Herbal remedies and supplements
- Mind-body medicine including yoga and meditation
- Naturopathic/holistic medicine
- Nutrition therapy
- Oncology rehabilitation
- Pain management
- Reiki and subtle energy healing
- Spiritual support
- Tai Chi and Qigong
Austin Cancer Center is a Leader in Integrative Medicine
- TEAM APPROACH – Each patient has a dedicated team of cancer care specialists creating a customized cancer care plan. When needed, we connect our patients to integrative providers, monitor progress, and make adjustments as needed.
- EXPERTISE – We are here to create the most successful treatment plan possible. That’s why we approach cancer from every possible direction, including Integrative Medicine. Our Board-Certified Integrative Oncologist, Dr. Matthew McCurdy, is highly recognized for his expertise in this emerging area of specialization.
- ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY – At our state-of-the-art facilities we use advanced technologies, including genomic testing, and treatments to diagnose, stage and effectively treat cancer.
- PERSONALIZED CARE – Because each person’s cancer journey is unique, we create personalized plans to meet those specific needs. We can be accommodating to both personal beliefs and health goals to help you achieve a course of treatment that helps you feel your best.
- SUPPORT – Our nurse navigators, patient care coordinators and support programs help you and your loved ones throughout the treatment experience.
Meet Dr. McCurdy.
Read Dr. McCurdy’s recent articles in Natural Awakenings Magazine
Yoga Improves Quality of Life for Cancer Patients and Survivors
Obtain Better Health Through the Anti-Inflammatory Diet
Tumeric: The Spice of Life